Recent Microsoft Windows update KB2585542 (released on Tuesday, January 10, 2012) changes the winhttp.dll system library which is used by Kerio Outlook Connector (Offline Edition). The update changes the data flow in a network communication over TLS (SSL) secured connection used in HTTPS communication of Kerio Outlook Connector with Kerio Connect server. This change is not compatible with Kerio Connect server.
Q: How do I know I'm affected? What are the symptoms?
A: Users may experience various symptoms, depending on Microsoft Outlook version they use. These symptoms include:
- Microsoft Outlook shows an error while sending an email (error 0x800CCC12 - Cannot connect to network)
- Kerio Outlook Connector is in offline mode after start of Microsoft Outlook
- Kerio Outlook Connector reports that user authentication fails after opening Microsoft Outlook
- It is not possible to configure new Kerio Outlook Connector account in Microsoft Outlook (error 0x80042004 - Unknown error)
- Microsoft Outlook fails to start with error "0x8004010f MAPI_E_NOT_FOUND"
Q: How do I check if the update is installed?
A: To verify that open Control Panel, select Programs and then select Programs and Features and choose "Installed updates" option and look for "KB2585542" in Microsoft Windows section.
Q: How do I fix it?
A: Install Kerio Connect 7.3.1 patch 2 and update all Kerio Outlook Connectors to this version. Kerio Outlook Connector will be updated automatically from Kerio Connect server.
Q: I cannot update the server. What else can I do?
A: There are two possible workarounds for customers who don't or can't update to Kerio Connect 7.3.1 patch:
- Open the Kerio Outlook Connector account configuration and disable "Use data compression" option in the account settings. To do so, open Control Panel, select Users accounts and then select Mail option. Click on the E-mail Accounts button and edit the account settings and uncheck ,,Use data compression" option in Server Details tab. Then click on OK and start Microsoft Outlook.
- Uninstall KB2585542 from client computer. To do so, locate the "KB2585542" update in Control Panel/Programs and Features/Installed updates windows and select ,,Uninstall" option. This requires computer restart. The update can be also uninstalled automatically if you are using WSUS if the client is using Windows Vista or Windows 7.
Q: Does it affect Kerio Connector for Blackberry?
A: Yes, this problem affects also Kerio Connector for Blackberry. The solution (or workaround) is the same as for Kerio Outlook Connector. Preferred solution is upgrade of Kerio Connector for Blackberry and Kerio Connect to version 7.3.1 patch 2.
Q: What Kerio Outlook Connector versions are affected?
A: Affected are all Kerio Outlook Connector versions on Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 with installed KB2585542 update.
Q: I don't use SSL. Do I need to install Kerio Connect 7.3.1 patch 2?
A: No. If you don't use SSL (HTTPS) for synchronization of Kerio Outlook Connector with Kerio Connect server then there is no requirement for installing the patch.